This will be my second year entering Pitch Wars. Last year I didn’t receive any requests, which kind of bummed me out. But after I got over the rejection, I finished my second manuscript, and started my third during NaNoWriMo 2015. I’m excited to get back in the Pitch Wars game with something new.
I currently live in Waukesha, WI after moving a lot when I was younger. I got my Bachelors degree from the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire, majoring in English – Creative Writing with a Business Administration minor. I’ve worked at the same day job for almost four years as an administrative assistant.
My first foray into writing was with short stories and poetry in elementary school. Then I started obsessively writing Harry Potter fanfiction when I was a teen. I took the plunge of trying to write a novel when I was 18.
My family, and close coworkers, call me the ‘Grammar Queen’. I’m also known as ‘Sister Smartass’ by one close coworker (ha ha). My humor is very sarcastic in nature, if you hadn’t picked up on that already…
- I’m a Ravenclaw.
- Pizza is my all-time favorite food.
- I’m an anxious person. Being published is my dream, but I’m terrible with public speaking. I need to overcome this fear, because I want to be able to talk in front of my fans, whenever they start showing up in my life.
- I currently don’t have any pets, but if I could have one, I’d chose a dog.
- I love Netflix. My last binged show was Young & Hungry, which I absolutely loved. If you haven’t seen it, I’d highly recommend it.
All of my manuscripts so far are YA contemporary romance, but I definitely want to try out some other genres, like fantasy, paranormal, etc. I’ve seriously considered writing NA and adult novels, but lately I’ve been thinking of staying in the YA age category. YA novels are some of the most important ones published.
I’m not going to go on about why I should be chosen, because I think my writing should speak for itself, but I just want to say that I’m a hard worker, and I’d love the opportunity to work with any of the amazing mentors that are donating their time to this contest!
In the spirit of amazing writing, I thought I’d list some of my all-time favorite books:
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson
- The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
- Summer of Sloane by Erin Schneider
- Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
- The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
- Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
- Anna and the French Kiss trilogy by Stephanie Perkins
- Just Listen and This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
I’m submitting a YA contemporary romance manuscript to Pitch Wars this year. Below you’ll find a short summary for Celebrity Crush, plus a novel aesthetic. And the Pinterest inspiration board can be found here.
Seventeen-year-old Gwen Harris might be the daughter of a famous actress, but being in the spotlight is lonely—and depressing. Her mother is always filming on set somewhere, her dad lives halfway across the country, and boys only seem to want her for one thing…a chance to meet her mother. After being burned too many times, can she open herself up to true love when it comes around? Or will she let fear stand in her way?
With all this said, I need to get to work on editing my manuscript before the Pitch Wars submission deadline (just over a month to go). Thanks for stopping by to read my mentee bio. If you’d like to check out the other mentee bios, click here. If you want to check me out, find me on Twitter at @nicolelynnhoefs. Lastly, before I sign off, I want to thank Brenda Drake for creating Pitch Wars and working tirelessly to keep it running. xoxo